This training course is delivered through the teaching approach it presents. Participants, who may already teach in higher education through English as the Medium of Instruction, or academics who are planning to start, will be able to try out the language and techniques acquired on the course in practical micro-teaching sessions followed by peer review and comprehensive trainer feedback.
This course not only updates participants’ language skills for a variety of contexts from large lectures, interactive seminars, to one-to-one supervision, but provides more specific practice of language to better define and explain terminology, formulate questions to stimulate critical thinking, and manage learning, among other linguistic aspects.
This 4-day course is interactive and grounded in discussion and group work, modelling an innovative approach to day-to-day teaching practices which include:
- addressing a mixed language-level and culturally diverse student body
- structuring and signalling the stages of a lecture
- asking the right questions to deepen learning
- encouraging student participation to aid understanding
- using visual aids to enhance linguistic comprehension
- giving effective feedback
Your institution can benefit from this course through:
- the enhanced teaching quality of its English-taught courses
- the ability to attract a more diverse student body
- recognition as a strongly international contender in tertiary education
The course can run as a 4-day consecutive intensive workshop or customised to meet the institution’s needs.