To mark the upcoming installation of FUTUROMA at The Künstlerhaus Villa Romana in Florence in 2020, the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture (ERIAC) has joined forces with the Villa Romana residency programme to offer two residencies to Roma contemporary artists under the age of 40. This exciting initiative draws upon the ground-breaking work, expertise and vision of both institutions to realise a unique opportunity for young Roma artists and marks a significant step in recognition of the importance of Roma contemporary art practice today. The FUTUROMA exhibition is curated by Daniel Baker and commissioned by ERIAC as an official collateral event of the 58th International Art Exhibition La Biennale di Venezia.
Through the cooperation of Villa Romana and ERIAC, the residence offers artists the opportunity to concentrate on their work, to seek an exchange with other artists in the house and in the regional environment, and to deal with the history of art on site.
The program will promote two selected artists and give visibility to Roma contemporary arts. The works produced during the Roma contemporary art residencies will be exhibited in Berlin at the ERIAC Arts Space in the second half of 2020. An international jury will screen the candidates and select the two artists.
Members of the Jury
- Maria Lind (curator, writer, art critic, co-curator of the 2019 Biennial in Timisoara)
- Daniel Baker (artist, curator of FUTUROMA at Biennale Arte 2019)
- Angelika Stepken (curator, author, director of Villa Romana)
- Timea Junghaus (curator, art historian, director of ERIAC)
- In the first half of 2020 (February to July), the selected persons will be provided with a guest room in the Villa Romana for a period of two months
- The selected artist receives a monthly scholarship in the amount of 1000 Euro
- Travel expenses are covered
Application deadline: 1 October 2019
Jury session: early November 2019
- Visual artists with self-declared Roma identity up to the age of 40, whose work provides a special contribution to contemporary art production
- We do not demand a special description of the planned project
- Please send in your CV and a portfolio (if possible digital) by 1 October 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org and to: email@example.com with the subject line “2020 residency application”