Informazioni su questo corso
This teacher training course will provide you with the skills essential to teaching English to young learners, aged 8-13 years.
The Young Learner (YL) Extension to CELTA course is for teachers who have little or no previous experience of teaching young learners and have previously been awarded CELTA. (Applicants without CELTA will also be considered but should note that although they receive the same training, they are not eligible for the Cambridge certificate.)
The course is designed to enable CELTA holders to build on and transfer the skills and knowledge from their CELTA course to the area of teaching young learners. YL Extension to CELTA is intended to complement the CELTA course, equipping you with the skills to teach English successfully to young learners.
THE COURSE INCLUDES:
- Four hours of teaching practice. The teaching will be observed by tutors and you will be given feedback on your lessons. You will also be expected to comment on others' lessons.
- Three hours of input sessions each day. These will cover the theoretical and practical components of teaching methodology.
- Supervised and assisted lesson planning for each lesson.
- Two written assignments.
THE COURSE COVERS:
- Language awareness – including language description and syllabus design for young learners
- The learner, teacher and the teaching and learning context – including motivation, learning background, learning style and the main learning and development phases in children
- Planning – including use of materials, media and how to plan effectively
- Classroom management and teaching skills – including practical language teaching skills, teacher and learner language use, as well as classroom management
- Resources and materials – including how to select, adapt and evaluate materials for younger learners
- Professional development – including the ability to assess one’s own lessons, which will be developed throughout the course
- be at least 18 (It is generally recommended that candidates should be aged 20 or over)
- have a good awareness of language and an advanced competence in both written and spoken English
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to complete successfully the teaching practice and written assignments