Study UK Brexit and Education

UK universities and colleges are some of the most international places to study in the world. Students and staff from the EU and beyond are extremely welcome and make an enormous contribution to the UK and the success of its education institutions.

For further updates on EU students moving to the UK, we recommend our Study UK website.

How is the UK’s exit from the EU going to affect the Italian students who want to study or who are studying in the UK?

European students who are currently studying in the UK or who begin their studies before July 2021 will pay the same fees and have the same access to financial arrangements as British students and these conditions apply throughout the duration of their course.

After August 2021, EU students starting a new course in England or Scotland will no longer be eligible for home fee status. Instead, each university will set its own fees for EU students. You will need to check this information with the universities you apply to. EU students will no longer be eligible for student loans to cover tuition fees.

What will happen to Erasmus students?

The projects successfully bid for during the current Erasmus+ and ESC programmes (2014–20) will continue to receive EU funding for the full duration of the project, including those where funding runs beyond 2020. Find out more information about the new programme.

From September 2021 onwards, thousands of students will be able to study and do work placements across the world through the Turing scheme, a new programme that replaces the UK’s participation in Erasmus+.

Visit the Turing Scheme website for more information.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

From 2021, students travelling to the UK to study for a degree or postgraduate qualification at a UK university, or to take part in an exchange programme – including Erasmus – require a visa. Language courses lasting less than six months are exempt from this requirement.

Your university will be able to provide you with guidance and support. Your university is your sponsor for the application and entry to the UK.

You can see all of the latest information about the visa application process on the UK Government’s webpage.

Can I stay and work in the UK once I finish my degree or postgraduate qualification?

The new Graduate Route, launched on 1 July 2021, will enable you to stay in the UK and work, or look for work, at any skill level for two years (or three years for PhD students) after graduation.

This is a fantastic opportunity for international students that will help you to take your next steps into employment after graduation in the UK.

Can I go to the UK on an exchange or to study for one semester or one year as before?

Yes, it’s still possible to do this. Your university in your home country might have an exchange agreement already set up for you to do a semester or longer at a partner university in the UK.

Alternatively, you might be able to set up your own study abroad semester or year placement at a UK university independently, meaning you would pay fees to the UK university directly. Check if your home university has a partnership agreement with a UK university.

Remember, if you go to the UK for longer than six months, even on an exchange, you will need a visa.

Do I need a very high level of English to study in the UK?

One of the persisting myths about studying at a UK university is that you need to be an outstanding student to apply when in fact there are a multitude of universities and faculties with a wide range of entry requirements. Obviously the most highly ranked and prestigious universities are more difficult to get into.

The UK system offers various entry routes, for example some offer preparatory courses which enable students to reach the entry requirements for degree programmes, they also offer foundation programmes or top-up degrees.

Can I get my certificates verified/certified or translated at the British Council?

No. The British Council in Italy does not offer this service. Please contact the institution requiring the certification and ask what other options they will accept for verification and/or translation of your certificate.

For example: the UK institution may accept a certificate (or stamped copy) sent directly from your (Italian or other foreign) university/higher education institution that issued the original certificate or awarded the degree/qualification.